Resize a picture using Paint
- Open Microsoft Paint by clicking the "Start" button and "Paint" in Windows.
- Click the "Paint" button (just above the ribbon) and select "Open." The "Open" dialog box appears. Double-click the image you want to shrink. It loads in Microsoft Paint.
- Select the "Home" tab in the ribbon. Click "Resize" in the Image group. The Resize and Skew dialog box opens.
- Go to the Resize section and select the resize option you want to use, percentage or pixels.
- Check "Maintain aspect ration" to prevent image distortion when you shrink the image. To reduce the image size, change the value in the Horizontal or Vertical text field to a smaller value. Click "OK."
- Click the "Paint" button and select "Save" to overwrite the file. To preserve the original image, but save a copy of the reduced file, click the "Paint" button and "Save as" instead. Select the file format you want the file saved as from the fly-out menu ("JPEG picture") Rename the file in the "Save As" dialog box and click "Save."